ADVANCED MACROECONOMICS 2 - 2020/1
Module code: ECOM065
This module introduces students to the tools necessary to address intermediate to advanced topics and perform independent research in such topics. It covers techniques for macroeconomics as well exposing students to research papers and topics. The module also aims to expose students to a wide range of models and approaches, ensuring they are sufficiently familiar with the literature to perform future independent research.
PRACA CAVACO NUNES Ricardo (Economics)
Number of Credits: 15
ECTS Credits: 7.5
Framework: FHEQ Level 7
Module cap (Maximum number of students): N/A
Overall student workload
Independent Learning Hours: 117
Lecture Hours: 22
Tutorial Hours: 11
Prerequisites / Co-requisites
Indicative content includes:
• Understanding and explaining cross-country income differences
• Fundamental causes of economic development and growth
• Human capital and technological change
• Growth Models
• Fiscal and Monetary Policy
• Time-Inconsistency and Imperfect Commitment
• Complete and Incomplete Markets
• Model solution techniques
• Other selected topics
|Assessment type||Unit of assessment||Weighting|
|Examination||Final examination (2 hours)||100|
The assessment strategy is designed to provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate their understanding of the tools used in theoretical and applied macroeconomics, and with the opportunity to apply these tools to real world issues.
Thus, the summative assessment for this module consists of:
• A two-hour examination worth 100% of the final mark.
Formative assessment and feedback
In addition to this, they are shown the correct approach to tutorial problems. Office hours are devoted to more targeted, individually based feedback on specific problems.
- Introduce students to advanced tools of modern macroeconomics.
- Introduce students to some of the types of models worked within the literature
- Introduce students to academic papers and research topics in the literature.
|001||Acquire the technical tools of macroeconomics modelling related topics||CKPT|
|002||Have a view of the frontier topics in Macroeconomic Modelling||CK|
C - Cognitive/analytical
K - Subject knowledge
T - Transferable skills
P - Professional/Practical skills
Methods of Teaching / Learning
The learning and teaching strategy is designed to:
• familiarise students with basic skills used in macroeconomic analysis.
• enhance basic skills in relating real-world phenomena with macroeconomic models
• enhance basic skills in discussing and reasoning about macroeconomic problems by using a conceptually rigorous analytical framework
• give broad but still focused overview on selected frontier topics in Macroeconomic Modelling
The learning and teaching methods include:
• Presentation and discussion within small-group interactive lectures.
Indicated Lecture Hours (which may also include seminars, tutorials, workshops and other contact time) are approximate and may include in-class tests where one or more of these are an assessment on the module. In-class tests are scheduled/organised separately to taught content and will be published on to student personal timetables, where they apply to taken modules, as soon as they are finalised by central administration. This will usually be after the initial publication of the teaching timetable for the relevant semester.
Upon accessing the reading list, please search for the module using the module code: ECOM065
Programmes this module appears in
|Economics MRes||2||Compulsory||A weighted aggregate mark of 50% is required to pass the module|
Please note that the information detailed within this record is accurate at the time of publishing and may be subject to change. This record contains information for the most up to date version of the programme / module for the 2020/1 academic year.